- Right over left and under, left over right and under
- Slow, slow, quick quick slow
- In, round, through, out
These memory aids are burned into my brain. I'm sure you know dozens of others: little sayings that help you remember something you've learned.
Here's one for people writing content:
- Long, short, long, short, long short short.
The thing is, a mnemonic is not enough. It only works to summon up knowledge you already have acquired.
You only know what Right over left and under, left over right and under means if you can tie a reef knot.
Slow, slow, quick quick slow means nothing if you haven't learned the quickstep.
In, round, through, out is only useful to knitters.
And only people who have studied our Contented courses in editing content will understand instantly what Long, short, long, short, long short short means.
Oh all right I'll tell you. But that doesn't mean you know how to do it: that requires some actual learning.
- Long headline (4-10 words)
- Short summary (1-2 sentences)
- Long link-text (4-10 words)
- Short sentences (1-21 words)
- Long sub-headlines (4-10 words)
- Short paragraphs (1-65 words)
- Short pages (if possible, no scrolling)
Long, short, long, short short short is not deathless poetry. If you can think of a better version, please do tell.