Diploma in Web Content
Our most popular qualification — 10 web writing courses and textbook
Gain all the essential web content writing skills in 10 hours. Learn to write digital content that's usable, findable, readable, accessible, clear and correct.
This is our most popular web writing course, designed for busy professionals who need digital content writing skills at work — web content writers, technical writers, content managers, content strategists, government workers, and copywriters.
You will learn
- practical skills in web content writing and copywriting
- how to attract online readers
- modern plain English writing techniques
- why writing for digital media differs from print
- the mechanics of digital content and how search engines work
- how to write for mobile devices
- confidence to apply these technical writing skills to your work.
- Written by content specialists and expert trainers
- Recognised CPD qualification to add to your professional credentials
- Accredited by the CPD Standards Office, UK
- Equivalent to a 2-day content writing class or workshop
- Takeaway course materials and detailed e-book by Rachel McAlpine
- 100% money-back guarantee
Course curriculum: 10 online web copywriting courses
- Writing for online readers: Understand how to communicate with readers who are uncomfortable, stressed, searching, and in a hurry.
- Writing web headlines: Write web headlines that instantly work for people and search engines.
- Writing web page summaries: Master 5 types of web summaries that get the message across.
- Writing useful hyperlinks: Create links that people can instantly find, understand and use; learn what to write instead of Click Here.
- Using images and graphs online: Make visual content accessible.
- Writing plain English, part 1: Learn how to check the readability of your content, structure documents for clarity, and write concisely.
- Writing plain English, part 2: Learn how to use clear words and sentences; avoid grammar mistakes.
- Editing web content: Master a powerful 4-step content editing system, easy to remember and use.
- Writing mobile content: Understand how to write digital content that works on mobile phones.
- Writing for search engines: Discover how content writers can improve search results and search engine rankings for web and intranet content.
Audience: You need these skills for jobs in professional business writing, corporate communications, web content writing, online publishing, content marketing, public relations, technical writing, content management, digital marketing and government.
Prerequisites: None, apart from computer and internet access. No knowledge of IT or accessibility required.
Qualification: Professional development qualification, independently accredited by the CPD Standards Office UK: 10 credits for your CPD record.
Time and place: Distance learning courses. Start any time within 12 months. Study online at your own pace.
Duration: You can access the online courses for 180 days from the time you first log in. Equivalent to 2-day professional workshop.
Assessment: 10 online tests.
Authors: Alice Hearnshaw and Rachel McAlpine, respected specialists in digital content, are the course authors.
About the content writing textbook
Write Me a Web Page, Elsie! by Rachel McAlpine has been a popular university text around the world. This textbook covers everything web content writers and web copywriters need to know, from structure and language to academic content and social media content marketing. Comprehensive and thorough — and a very entertaining read.
Book: table of contents
Rachel McAlpine's comprehensive book includes 21 Chapters and 472 pages.
- 21st century business writing
- Why the dream seems impossible
- Not your usual reader
- Plain language online
- F-headlines: flying the flag
- F-summaries: do or die
- F-link and cuff-links
- The feng shui of online content
- Function and dysfunction
- Focused, freestanding content
- Fresh and factual content
- Photos, figs, Flash and audio
- Findable content
- Democracy online: social, ubiquitous, accessible content
- Standard pages need a brain
- The secret life of intranets
- E-government: because you must
- Commercial content: trust me
- Academic content
- International web content
- Culture change: fixing all content
Practical and useful
This course has been a great investment – in a compressed amount of time I have learnt a repertoire of new writing habits ready to test out, and weeded out many ineffective ones! I found it very valuable. I have already recommended this course to my colleagues.
I was recommended this by people within a ministry I work at. In my arrogance I thought I knew how to write. This has made me reflect on and question the purpose, structure and effectiveness of everything I've done. My digital content team will certainly find me much less of a pain in the butt now! :)
Wonderful course, easy to follow
The course opened up new avenues for me, and it enabled my skillset to grow. It was easy to follow, and appropriately tested.
A very good experience
I followed the Web Content Diploma course, which gave me a high-quality introduction to the main challenges that everyone writing for the Web has to face. I particularly appreciated the very neat explanations, easy to follow, as well as the many examples provided. I would recommend the course both to beginners, willing to approach the matter, and experts, for an invaluable review.
I feel so rich now !
I loved the format and was reassured to see that all this common sense was not only the result of my personal thinking, but that actual experts believe in it too. I also learned a lot and feel very well equipped for any web content I will have to work on now. I feel ''knowledge rich''.